Illinois Graduate School of Library and
Information Science ISRL
M2K (Music-to-Knowledge): A tool set for MIR/MDL development and
The IMIRSEL (International Music Information Retrieval Systems
Evaluation Laboratory) project provides an unprecedented platform for
evaluating Music Information Retrieval (MIR) and Music Digital Library
(MDL) techniques, by bringing together large corpora and significant
computational resources with the necessary rights management and
technical infrastructure to support a variety of MIR/MDL research
areas. The standardized research collection being deployed represents a
large and diverse corpus of musical examples, which we are hosting in
our secure environment for use in evaluating MIR/MDL algorithms. Grid
services and National Center for Supercomputing Application's (NCSA) D2K
(Data-to-Knowledge) machine learning environment provide a powerful,
high performance, and secure framework for designing, optimising, and
executing complex MIR/MDL evaluation applications. IMIRSEL provides a
community resource for researchers who would otherwise not be able to
afford the content rights and computational resources to carry out
large-scale MIR/MDL evaluations. J. Stephen Downie, Assistant Professor
at the Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS), University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), is director of IMIRSEL and is the project
principal investigator (PI).
M2K (Music-to-Knowledge) is a key element of the IMIRSEL project.
represents the music-specific set of D2K modules designed to create a
Research Lab (VRL) for MIR/MDL development, prototyping and evaluation.
VRLs will be used by MIR/MDL researchers so they can participate in
MIREX (Music Information Retrieval Evaluation eXchange) contests.
D2K, together with a subsidary set of modules called, T2K
(Text-to-Knowledge), provide the basic foundation upon which M2K is
being developed. D2K/T2K are the result of a ongoing research and
development project of the Automated Learning Group (ALG) at NCSA. ALG is
headed by Prof. Michael Welge who is also an IMIRSEL project co-PI.
- J. Stephen Downie, Joe Futrelle, David Tcheng. (2004). The International Music Information Retrieval Systems
Evaluation Laboratory: Governance, Access and Security. In
Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Music Information
Retrieval: ISMIR 2004. Barcelona, Spain, October 10-14, 2004.
- A one-page overview of how M2K fits into the basic D2K/T2K
framework is available at: http://www.music-ir.org/evaluation/m2k/m2k_overview.pdf
- International Music Information Retrieval Evaluation Laboratory
(IMIRSEL): Introducing M2K and D2K - A slightly revised version of the
M2K demo handout provided at ISMIR 2004, Barcelona, in October 2004.
Available at: http://www.music-ir.org/evaluation/m2k/v4_ISMIR2004_Handout.pdf
- J. Stephen Downie, Kris West, Andreas Ehmann and Emmanuel Vincent (2005).
The 2005 Music Information Retrieval Evaluation eXchange (MIREX 2005): Preliminary Overview.
In Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR 2005), London, UK, 11-15 September 2005.
Queen Mary, UK: University of London, pp. 320-323. Available at: http://ismir2005.ismir.net/proceedings/xxxx.pdf
Access to D2K and T2K (necessary to work with the M2K module set)
M2K is based upon the combination of D2K and T2K. You only need to
download the latest version of D2K (4.1.1) as it now comes bundled with
the T2K modules in one package.
** Download D2K from the ALG distribution site: D2K
The D2K/T2K module sets are written in JAVA (as are M2K modules).
Specific system requirement and installation information is available
at the D2K download site.
Access to M2K
Subscription Information for Important Listserves:
- MIREX: The "MIR
Evaluation eXchange" list -- Community discussion about the
running of the formal evaluation contests held in association with the
ISMIR conferences --
- M2K: The
"Music-to-Knowledge" list -- Intended to provide a forum for discusing
M2K development, implementation and debugging information for those
using and developing M2K modules --
- Music-IR: The "Music
Information Retrieval" list -- The "must-subscribe" discussion list
that brings togethers everyone interested in MIR issues --
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
- The National Science Foundation (NSF): Grants No. IIS-0340597 and
M2K Development People
- J. Stephen Downie (PI) - Graduate School of Library &
Information Science (GSLIS), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
(UIUC) - jdownie at uiuc dot edu
- Michael Welge (co-PI) - The Automated Learning Group (ALG), The
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) - welge at ncsa
dot uiuc dot edu
- Paul Lamere - Sun Labs - paul dot lamere at sun dot com
- Kris West - Computing Sciences, University of East Anglia, UK -
kw at cmp dot uea dot ac dot uk
- Joe Futrelle - NCSA, UIUC - futrelle at uiuc dot edu
- David Tcheng - NCSA, UIUC - dtcheng at ncsa dot uiuc dot edu
- Loretta Sue Auvil - NCSA, UIUC - lauvil at ncsa dot uiuc dot edu
- Yandong Dora Cai - NCSA, UIUC - ycai at ncsa uiuc dot edu
- Andreas Ehmann - Electrical Engineering, UIUC
- Mert Bay - Electrical Engineering, UIUC
- M. Cameron Jones - GSLIS, UIUC - mjones2 at uiuc dot edu
- Jin Ha (Gina) Lee - GSLIS, UIUC - jinlee1 at uiuc dot edu
- Xiao Hu - GSLIS, UIUC - xiaohu at uiuc dot edu
- Martin McCrory - GSLIS, UIUC - mccrory at uiuc dot edu
- Xin Xiang - GSLIS, UIUC - xxiang2 at uiuc dot edu
Maintained by: J.
Comments to: jdownie at uiuc dot edu
Last modified: 8 April 2007