From MIREX Wiki
Welcome to MIREX 2009
This is the main page for the fifth running of the Music Information Retrieval Evaluation eXchange (MIREX 2009). The International Music Information Retrieval Systems Evaluation Laboratory (IMIRSEL) at the Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) is the principal organizer of MIREX 2009.
The MIREX 2009 community will hold its annual plenary meeting as part of The 10th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval, ISMIR 2009, which will be held in Kobe, Japan, from October 26-30, 2009.
J. Stephen Downie
Note to New Participants
Please take the time to read the following review article that explains the history and structure of MIREX.
Downie, J. Stephen (2008). The Music Information Retrieval Evaluation Exchange (2005-2007):
A window into music information retrieval research.Acoustical Science and Technology 29 (4): 247-255.
Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1250/ast.29.247
Note to All Participants
Because MIREX is premised upon the sharing of ideas and results, ALL MIREX participants are expected to:
- submit a DRAFT 2-3 page extended abstract PDF in the ISMIR format about the submitted programme(s) to help us and the community better understand how the algorithm works when submitting their programme(s).
- submit a FINALIZED 2-3 page extended abstract PDF in the ISMIR format prior to ISMIR 2009 for posting on the respective results pages (sometimes the same abstract can be used for multiple submissions; in many cases the DRAFT and FINALIZED abstracts are the same)
- present a poster at the MIREX 2009 poster session at ISMIR 2009 (exact date to be announced)
MIREX 2009 Results
The MIREX 2009 results have been posted at: MIREX 2009 Results.
- Submission system opened officially 17 August.
- Algorithm submission deadline 8 September.
Note: In practice, there will be rolling final deadlines for different tasks. Pay attention to the wiki pages of tasks you are interested in. The Audio Music Similarity submission need to be submitted as close to the deadline as possible as we have to then run the human evaluations.
Getting Involved in MIREX 2009
MIREX is a community-based endeavour. Be a part of the community and help make MIREX 2009 the best yet.
Mailing List Participation
If you are interested in formal MIR evaluation, you should also subscribe to the "MIREX" (aka "EvalFest") mail list and participate in the community discussions about defining and running MIREX 2009 tasks. Subscription information at: https://mail.lis.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/evalfest
Please note that you must create a NEW login for this wiki even if you have a login that you previously used for editing the MIREX 2005 or 2006 or 2007 or 2008 wikis.
Please create an account via: Create Account.
Possible MIREX 2009 Evaluation Tasks
2008 Tasks as Templates
The following tasks were those run in 2008. We have created 2009 templates from these 2008 tasks. By following the links below, you can access the 2009 templates as a starting point. Feel free to build upon, extend and edit these templates in order to define the tasks for 2009. Note we will run a task if there are three or more committed participants. It will probably be the case that not all of the 2008 tasks will be run in 2009.
Very Important: Feel free to propose new tasks and add to the list below. Also feel free to resurrect tasks from previous years.
- 2009:Audio Onset detection
- 2009:Audio Artist Identification
- 2009:Audio Genre Classification
- 2009:Audio Tag Classification
- 2009:Audio Music Mood Classification
- 2009:Audio Cover Song Identification
- 2009:Real-time Audio to Score Alignment (a.k.a Score Following)
- 2009:Query by Singing/Humming
- 2009:Multiple Fundamental Frequency Estimation & Tracking
- 2009:Audio Chord Detection
- 2009:Audio Melody Extraction
- 2009:Query by Tapping
- 2009:Audio Beat Tracking
New or Resurrected 2009 Proposals
MIREX 2009 Submission Instructions
The 2009:MIREX 2009 Submission Instructions page is now up. The URL to the MIREX 2009 Submission System has been placed at the bottom of the MIREX 2009 Submission Instructions page (to encourage reading of this important document).
Andreas Ehmann has created another must-read submission-related document: 2009:Best Coding Practices for MIREX.
Please request any dependencies, libraries or execution environemts/Virtual machines using this form.
Take a look at our most recent description of MIREX 2009 Equipment and basic software.
If you have difficulties or general questions about the submission procedures please contact:
MIREX 2005 - 2008 Wikis
This is the new wiki for MIREX 2009. The wikis for MIREX 2005 - 2008 are available at:
You can interlink between this wiki and the previous wikis using 2005: prefix on links to connect to pages in MIREX 2005 and 2006: for MIREX 2006 and 2007: for MIREX 2007 and 2008: for MIREX 2008.
ISMIR 2004 Audio Description Contest
The Audio Description Contest held at ISMIR 2004 is a precursor to MIREX. Details of the ISMIR 2004 Audio Description Contest can be found at:
Special Tagatune Audio Tag Classification Evaluation
Take a look at the Tagatune evaluation that was run in early 2009!