- 1 Welcome to MIREX 2010
- 2 Getting Involved in MIREX 2010
- 3 MIREX 2010 Submission Instructions
- 4 MIREX 2005 - 2009 Wikis
Welcome to MIREX 2010
This is the main page for the sixth running of the Music Information Retrieval Evaluation eXchange (MIREX 2010). The International Music Information Retrieval Systems Evaluation Laboratory (IMIRSEL) at the Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) is the principal organizer of MIREX 2010.
The MIREX 2010 community will hold its annual meeting as part of The 11th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval, ISMIR 2010, which will be held in Utrecht, Netherlands, from August 9th to 13th, 2010. The MIREX plenary (working lunch) and poster sessions will be held Wednesday, 11 August 2010.
J. Stephen Downie
MIREX 2010 Evaluation Tasks
The IMIRSEL team at UIUC solicited proposals for evaluation tasks to be performed at the Music Information Retrieval Evaluation eXchange 2010 (MIREX 2010) and polled the community on their likelihood of participation in each task. A summary of the responses from the community is given below:
Results as of Monday 24th May 2010:
Total individual responses = 74
file /nema-raid/www/mirex/results//nema-raid/www/mirex/results/2010/poll/MIREX_Task_Participation_Poll.csv not found
Hence, the IMIRSEL team has decided to attempt the running of the following tasks at MIREX 2010:
- 2010:Audio Classification (Train/Test) Tasks, incorporating:
- Audio Artist Identification
- Audio US Pop Genre Classification
- Audio Latin Genre Classification
- Audio Music Mood Classification
- Audio Classical Composer Identification
- 2010:Audio Cover Song Identification
- 2010:Audio Tag Classification
- 2010:Audio Music Similarity and Retrieval
- 2010:Symbolic Melodic Similarity
- 2010:Audio Onset Detection
- 2010:Audio Key Detection
- 2010:Real-time Audio to Score Alignment (a.k.a Score Following)
- 2010:Query by Singing/Humming
- 2010:Audio Melody Extraction
- 2010:Multiple Fundamental Frequency Estimation & Tracking
- 2010:Audio Chord Estimation
2010:Query by Tapping
- 2010:Audio Beat Tracking
- 2010:Structural Segmentation
New 2010 Proposals
- 1st June 2010: MIREX submission system opens (target date)
- 22nd June - 1st July 2010: Rolling MIREX submission system closures (dates to be announced)
- 15th July 2010: MIREX results posting begins
- 1st August 2010: All MIREX results posted (somewhat hopeful target date)
- 2-6th August 2010: USMIR Summer School
- 9-13th August 2010: ISMIR conference
Note to New Participants
Please take the time to read the following review article that explains the history and structure of MIREX.
Downie, J. Stephen (2008). The Music Information Retrieval Evaluation Exchange (2005-2007):
A window into music information retrieval research.Acoustical Science and Technology 29 (4): 247-255.
Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1250/ast.29.247
Note to All Participants
Because MIREX is premised upon the sharing of ideas and results, ALL MIREX participants are expected to:
- submit a DRAFT 2-3 page extended abstract PDF in the ISMIR format about the submitted programme(s) to help us and the community better understand how the algorithm works when submitting their programme(s).
- submit a FINALIZED 2-3 page extended abstract PDF in the ISMIR format prior to ISMIR 2010 for posting on the respective results pages (sometimes the same abstract can be used for multiple submissions; in many cases the DRAFT and FINALIZED abstracts are the same)
- present a poster at the MIREX 2010 poster session at ISMIR 2010 (exact date to be announced)
Software Dependency Requests
If you have not submitted to MIREX before or are unsure whether IMIRSEL/NEMA currently supports some of the software/architecture dependencies for your submission a dependency request form is available. Please submit details of your dependencies on this form and the IMIRSEL team will attempt to satisfy them for you.
Due to the high volume of submissions expected at MIREX 2010, submissions with difficult to satisfy dependencies that the team has not been given sufficient notice of may result in the submission being rejected.
Finally, you will also be expected to detail your software/architecture dependencies in a README file to be provided to the submission system.
Getting Involved in MIREX 2010
MIREX is a community-based endeavour. Be a part of the community and help make MIREX 2010 the best yet.
Mailing List Participation
If you are interested in formal MIR evaluation, you should also subscribe to the "MIREX" (aka "EvalFest") mail list and participate in the community discussions about defining and running MIREX 2010 tasks. Subscription information at: .
If you are participating in MIREX 2010, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you are subscribed to EvalFest. Deadlines, task updates and other important information will be announced via this mailing list. Please use the EvalFest for discussion of MIREX task proposals and other MIREX related issues. This wiki (MIREX 2010 wiki) will be used to embody and disseminate task proposals, however, task related discussions should be conducted on the MIREX organization mailing list (EvalFest) rather than on this wiki, but should be summarized here.
Where possible, definitions or example code for new evaluation metrics or tasks should be provided to the IMIRSEL team who will embody them in software as part of the NEMA analytics framework, which will be released to the community at or before ISMIR 2010 - providing a standardised set of interfaces and output to disciplined evaluation procedures for a great many MIR tasks.
Please note that you may need to create a NEW login for this wiki even if you have a login that you previously used for editing the MIREX 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 or 2009 wikis.
However, starting in 2010 the MIREX wikis have been merged so that logins will persist for future iterations of MIREX.
Please create an account via: Special:Userlogin.
Please note that because of "spam-bots", MIREX wiki registration requests may be moderated by IMIRSEL members. It might take up to 24 hours for approval (Thank you for your patience!).
MIREX 2010 Submission Instructions
- Be sure to follow the Best Coding Practices for MIREX
- Be sure to follow the MIREX 2010 Submission Instructions
MIREX 2005 - 2009 Wikis
This is the new wiki for MIREX 2010. The wikis for MIREX 2005 - 2009 are available at:
You can interlink between this wiki and the previous wikis using 2005: prefix on links to connect to pages in MIREX 2005 and 2006: for MIREX 2006 and 2007: for MIREX 2007 and 2008: for MIREX 2008 and 2009: for MIREX 2009.
ISMIR 2004 Audio Description Contest
The Audio Description Contest held at ISMIR 2004 is a precursor to MIREX. Details of the ISMIR 2004 Audio Description Contest can be found at: