- 1 Welcome to MIREX 2010
- 2 Getting Involved in MIREX 2010
- 3 Possible MIREX 2010 Evaluation Tasks
- 4 MIREX 2010 Submission Instructions
- 5 MIREX 2005 - 2009 Wikis
Welcome to MIREX 2010
This is the main page for the sixth running of the Music Information Retrieval Evaluation eXchange (MIREX 2010). The International Music Information Retrieval Systems Evaluation Laboratory (IMIRSEL) at the Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) is the principal organizer of MIREX 2010.
The MIREX 2010 community will hold its annual plenary meeting as part of The 11th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval, ISMIR 2010, which will be held in Utrecht, Netherlands, from August 9th to 13th, 2010.
J. Stephen Downie
MIREX 2010 Call for Evaluation proposals
The IMIRSEL team at UIUC is soliciting proposals for evaluation tasks to be performed at the Music Information Retrieval Evaluation eXchange 2010 (MIREX 2010). Potential participants are invited to submit proposals for novel evaluation tasks, the re-running of past evaluation tasks and additional datasets and evaluation metrics used to run tasks.
Evaluation tasks from past MIREX evaluations include:
* Audio Test/Train tasks o Audio Artist Identification o Audio Genre Classification o Audio Music Mood Classification o Audio Classical Composer Identification * Audio Onset detection * Audio Key detection * Audio Tag Classification * Audio Cover Song Identification * Real-time Audio to Score Alignment (a.k.a Score Following) * Query by Singing/Humming * Multiple Fundamental Frequency Estimation & Tracking * Audio Chord Estimation * Audio Melody Extraction * Query by Tapping * Audio Beat Tracking * Audio Music Similarity and Retrieval * Structural Segmentation
So that the MIREX team can gauge the level of interest in each task an online poll has been setup. If you are considering participating in MIREX 2010 please indicate your likelihood of participation at: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHNtUjkxQ1M2Q0dQa293cC02TnM2OFE6MA
and dependency request form if necessary at: https://spreadsheets.google.com/embeddedform?formkey=dDltRjc4NDBDdkZiaF9qZXV0bU5ScUE6MA
Please use the MIREX organisation mailing list for discussion of MIREX task proposals and other MIREX related issues: https://mail.lis.illinois.edu/mailman/listinfo/evalfest
The MIREX 2010 wiki will be used to embody and disseminate task proposals and can be found at: https://www.music-ir.org/mirex/2010/index.php/Main_Page Where possible, task related discussions, which should be conducted on the MIREX organization mailing list, should be summarized on the MIREX 2010 wiki.
Where possible, definitions or example code for new evaluation metrics or tasks should be provided to the IMIRSEL team who will embody them in software as part of the NEMA analytics framework, which will be released to the community at or before ISMIR 2010 - providing a standardised set of interfaces and output to disciplined evaluation procedures for a great many MIR tasks.
* 1st May 2010: MIREX submission system opens (somewhat hopeful target date) * 15th June - 1st July 2010: Rolling MIREX submission system closures (dates to be announced) * 15th July 2010: MIREX results posting begins * 1st August 2010: All MIREX results posted (somewhat hopeful target date) * 2-6th August 2010: USMIR Summer School * 9-13th August 2010: ISMIR conference
Finally, a web-accessible submission and execution system is to be provided for MIREX by the NEMA project (https://nema.lis.illinois.edu/). This system will allow user to very simply submit, configure, test, execute and debug their own submissions and to inspect or publish their results. As this system is still in its infancy it may (initially) only be available for selected tasks and participants at MIREX 2010. Hence, we would like to invite institutions likely to produce multiple submissions to MIREX 2010 to contact the IMIRSEL team at firstname.lastname@example.org and to nominate an individual from their institution to be tutored on the use of the NEMA service and to manage their institutions submissions.
Note to New Participants
Please take the time to read the following review article that explains the history and structure of MIREX.
Downie, J. Stephen (2008). The Music Information Retrieval Evaluation Exchange (2005-2007):
A window into music information retrieval research.Acoustical Science and Technology 29 (4): 247-255.
Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1250/ast.29.247
Note to All Participants
Because MIREX is premised upon the sharing of ideas and results, ALL MIREX participants are expected to:
- submit a DRAFT 2-3 page extended abstract PDF in the ISMIR format about the submitted programme(s) to help us and the community better understand how the algorithm works when submitting their programme(s).
- submit a FINALIZED 2-3 page extended abstract PDF in the ISMIR format prior to ISMIR 2010 for posting on the respective results pages (sometimes the same abstract can be used for multiple submissions; in many cases the DRAFT and FINALIZED abstracts are the same)
- present a poster at the MIREX 2010 poster session at ISMIR 2010 (exact date to be announced)
Getting Involved in MIREX 2010
MIREX is a community-based endeavour. Be a part of the community and help make MIREX 2010 the best yet.
Mailing List Participation
If you are interested in formal MIR evaluation, you should also subscribe to the "MIREX" (aka "EvalFest") mail list and participate in the community discussions about defining and running MIREX 2010 tasks. Subscription information at: https://mail.lis.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/evalfest
Please note that you must create a NEW login for this wiki even if you have a login that you previously used for editing the MIREX 2005 or 2006 or 2007 or 2008 or 2009 wikis.
Please create an account via: Create Account.
Possible MIREX 2010 Evaluation Tasks
2009 Tasks as Templates
The following tasks were those run in 2009. We have created 2010 templates from these 2009 tasks. By following the links below, you can access the 2009 templates as a starting point. Feel free to build upon, extend and edit these templates in order to define the tasks for 2010. Note we will run a task if there are three or more committed participants. It will probably be the case that not all of the 2009 tasks will be run in 2010.
Very Important: Feel free to propose new tasks and add to the list below. Also feel free to resurrect tasks from previous years.
- Audio Onset detection
- Audio Artist Identification
- Audio Genre Classification
- Audio Tag Classification
- Audio Music Mood Classification
- Audio Cover Song Identification
- Real-time Audio to Score Alignment (a.k.a Score Following)
- Query by Singing/Humming
- Multiple Fundamental Frequency Estimation & Tracking
- Audio Chord Estimation
- Audio Melody Extraction
- Query by Tapping
- Audio Beat Tracking
- Audio Music Similarity and Retrieval
- Structural Segmentation
New or Resurrected 2010 Proposals
MIREX 2010 Submission Instructions
MIREX 2005 - 2009 Wikis
This is the new wiki for MIREX 2009. The wikis for MIREX 2005 - 2008 are available at:
You can interlink between this wiki and the previous wikis using 2005: prefix on links to connect to pages in MIREX 2005 and 2006: for MIREX 2006 and 2007: for MIREX 2007 and 2008: for MIREX 2008 and 2009: for MIREX 2009.
ISMIR 2004 Audio Description Contest
The Audio Description Contest held at ISMIR 2004 is a precursor to MIREX. Details of the ISMIR 2004 Audio Description Contest can be found at: